Homeowners insurance cover for water leakage in CT

When there is a leak under the sink or along any pipes within the house, it may be possible to make a claim for the damages on your home insurance policy. The problem is that the situation will ultimately determine your options and the choices that you have available can vary based on several factors.

Slow Leaks

A slow leak is not usually covered by the basic homeowner’s insurance policy because it is a problem that you can fix before it gets out of control and damages the room or the house. Although many slow leaks can be prevented, there may be situations that allow you to make a claim on your policy.

Situations that allow you to make a claim on your policy may relate to the location of the leak. For example, a pipe that is under the house and that you do not see regularly or have easy access to check on it. You may be covered in those situations if a leak gets bad enough to damage your property, but usually slow leaks are easy to repair if you catch the problem early.

Sudden Leaks

If a pipe bursts and you suddenly have a large leak or your house starts to flood because the pipe burst, then you may be covered by your home insurance policy.

Generally, situations that are beyond your personal control and do not relate to regular maintenance can be claimed in your policy.

There are a variety of situations that can arise and a leak is not always covered by your homeowner’s policy. The key is focusing on the situation so that you can determine if you are covered or if you will pay for the damages personally. Contact us to talk to an agent for more details.