Click to Call
AllConnecticut Insurance Brokers

20A Pasco Dr
East Windsor, CT 06088

Get Directions
Connecticut RV/Camper/Travel Trailer Insurance Coverage

RV/Camper/Travel Trailer

Get Quotes Below!

Request a Quote

RV/Camper/Travel Trailer Insurance

What Qualifies as a Recreational Vehicle?

Recreational vehicles are not one-size-fits-all. There are several types, or classes, of RVs available to rent or buy. It’s important to understand the different RV classes because they may come with different insurance requirements.

Class A

Class A RVs are often known as motorhomes. They are the largest type of RV, with the most features, and are also the most expensive. Class A RVs often look like a large bus and are usually accessible through a main side door.

Class B

Class B RVs are sometimes called campervans. These RVs have a much smaller and often less luxurious interior than their Class A cousins and are also much easier to drive. Class B RVs typically have a raised roof and are accessible through a sliding side door, much like a van.

Class C

Class C RVs are built on a truck or van chassis and have a traditional truck cabin where the driver sits. They also have a raised roof which extends over the cab and is used for sleeping or storage. Class C RVs are usually slightly bigger inside than a Class B campervan.

If you own or lease a class A, class B, or class C RV, you will need to carry a minimum amount of insurance to legally drive it.

How Much Does RV Insurance Cost?

There are many different details that affect the cost of RV insurance. Deductibles, selected coverages, garaging location, the value of the RV, as well as the owner’s rating factors and driving record.

Another consideration that affects RV insurance rates is how often you use the vehicle. Full-time RVers will pay more for RV insurance than part-time RVers, or individuals who only use their RV a few times per year.

Fortunately, there are ways to reduce the costs for your RV insurance. Many insurance companies offer discounts for bundling your policies, being a member of an RV association, taking a defensive driving course, having no accidents or claims on your record, or having an RV with certain safety features, like an anti-theft device and anti-lock brakes.

What Kind of Coverage Is Available for RVs?

If you own your RV, you’re only required to carry standard liability insurance, as well as personal injury protection if you live in a no- fault state. If you lease or finance your RV, however, it’s likely that your lender will require you to carry a full coverage policy, which also includes comprehensive and collision coverage.

Like car insurance, you have the option to add endorsements to your RV insurance coverage. Some of the most common optional coverages are towing, roadside assistance, and personal effects coverage, which will pay to replace the personal belongings in your RV if they get damaged or stolen.

Also, keep in mind that the RV insurance requirements are different for part-time vs. full-time RVers. As you might imagine, full-time RV residents need more coverage because their RV is serving as their permanent residence.

If you’re not sure whether you’re considered a full-time or part- time RV dweller, most RV insurance companies determine the classification based on how many days in a given year that you live in the RV.

If you live in an RV, either full-time or part-time, you need to have some type of insurance coverage. The only exception is for towable trailers. RV insurance includes many of the same coverages that you’ll find on a standard auto policy, but you can’t rely on your car insurance policy to protect your RV.

To find the best RV insurance company for your needs, call and speak to one of our licensed agents. We will match you will with the proper insurance for your needs. Keep in mind that you can usually get a discount on RV insurance if you bundle it with another policy, like home or auto insurance.


Connect With Us

for all your insurance needs!