The recent disaster caused by Hurricane Matthew reminds us all that water is a powerful force, which can cause major damage. For those who own vehicles that could be damaged by severe rains, mud slides, flood, or hurricanes, insurance coverage needs to be in place to cover this risk. The staff at All Connecticut Insurance in West Hartford, CT recommend that everyone check their insurance policies for the proper type of insurance to cover water damage to vehicles caused by severe weather.
Imagine these scenarios:
- High winds cause a tree branch to break, which lands on your vehicle’s windshield breaking the glass and allowing rain water to fill up the interior.
- You are driving across a small bridge and the river water washes the bridge away taking your vehicle with it.
- Your house is not in a flood zone; however being the careful person you are, you were smart enough to get flood insurance anyway. A "one-hundred year" event happens, which means the area floods for the first time in over one-hundred years. The house becomes flooded and your car is completely under water.
- You go away for vacation and we you get back your car is buried under a mud slide.
- You park on the street near a lake, river, or beach. The water rises and covers your car.
These are just a few of the common scenarios, which may cause water damage to your car. Whether you have insurance coverage depends on the type of insurance you have. Luckily, you do not have to figure this out alone. The risk you have depends on many factors and how close any major water source is to where you keep the vehicle most of the time. Severe weather is something to take very seriously because it is increasing. Check with your agent at All Connecticut Insurance in West Hartford, CT to make sure you have adequate coverage for weather and water damage.